Cooking for dummies 

Last night the i-Bridge committee had a potluck, or rather 'potbless' dinner together at Li Shuan's condominium. I proudly prepared a salad dish to contribute to the food spread. It is no secret that I do not know how to cook. Whatever little culinary skill (and believe me, it was little) I picked up during my time in UK has gone out of the window since coming back to good old Malaysia, with its abundant variety of good and inexpensive hawker food, including mommy's home cooked food. The only time when I go to the kitchen to prepare food is for breakfast, and even then it usually means the most cooking I would do is to make half-boiled egg with the microwave.

Is it my fault that I'm a through and through born and bred city girl?

When the committee decided to have a potbless dinner, I quickly jumped at the opportunity to prepare something. The only thing that was not super challenging was preparing a salad. Or so I thought.

When I was wondering what kind of salad to make, the amount of different salad recipes I found on the Internet was enough to make a poor skill-less beginner like me overwhelmed. Finally, though I hated the thought, I finally gave Gurjeet a ring and humble myself to ask her for help. Actually, that wasn't very difficult to do. What was difficult was waiting for her to finish laughing at me before she started giving me her recipe.

The good thing about having a friend who can cook well is that I could call her up every other minute to ask her, "What ingredients?! What to buy?? How much to buy? Where to buy? How much salt? How much pepper? How do I cut the green apples? When do I mix the dressing? Why are you laughing?! Stop laughing!! Some support please!!!!".

At the end of it all, I could proudly present my first formally made-for-public salad to the i-Bridge committee and was so glad to see them finish everything! Makes a skill-less beginner like me proud! Oh ok, some credit goes to the teacher *eyes rolling*.