I had an interesting conversation with Shih Chung last night that got me thinking on a few things, especially from my own answers to certain questions. And it made me ponder a lot more on Psalm 27:13-14 (WL: this is what I call meditation; reflecting on God's Word and allowing it to sink into me and change the way I understand things), and on how I was to wait for God.
From those thoughts it led me to the image of myself as a wild horse, caught and brought into God's stable. And in order for God to ride me, my spirit had to be broken in order to submit to my new Master. I saw myself as one that was spirited, proud, strong-willed, possessive, and if any were to come too close to me where I think would either be a threat, or trying to bridle me, I would nip and at times, not all too gently.
I still buck, kick and nip, but I suspect that after seven years of being in the Master's stable, I've been broken enough that my Master has already begun to put the bridle over my mouth. Reflecting on the last few weeks, I suddenly realize that my Master had been trying all this while to teach me to calm down and be still before Him, before He begins to lead me. I had been snorting, pawing the ground, and rearing my head to the left and right, but I finally noticed my Master standing quiet and still beside me, holding the reins firmly, with His steady hands all this while, waiting for me. I suspect He often uses this lesson, and perhaps it is one of the harder lessons to learn.
I think I'm beginning to understand that only until I learn to obey and be absolutely still before my Master, will He ride me, first at a slow trot, and when I've learned to be content in that slow trot, will He allow me to gallop, and when I'm finally ready, my Master will began to ride me through valleys, mountains and deserts at a maddening pace, filled with wild exhilaration and exuberance, so fast that it would seem as if we flew.
I'm beginning to understand the wild possibilities that I can achieve if I can only get this first lesson right; to obey my Master without hesitation and question, even if I cannot see the road that He is leading me through.
And this is merely the beginning...
The call of the wild
Post a Comment