It's been nearly three years since 9-11, but it seems like the newspapers has always been filled with stories about bombings and terrorism. Then again, maybe it has always been filled with it, just that the last three years it seemed to have been focused on a certain angle.
With all that has been happening, especially with the London bombings, I knew that my English friends would have plenty of discussions and questions about things. And when a close English friend (finally!) emailed me, I wasn't surprised by the contents of his email.
One particular question stood out, which was, what was it like, living in a Muslim country?
I won't say that I've not experience a degree of anger, scorn, frustration and even disgust at what has happened across the world in the name of a religion, and from a common belief shared by those who had killed, that it rewards such killing of its enemies.
But I won't say that I do not love people who believe in this same religion, whether or not they believe or even support the actions of the people who had died making headlines in all the major newspapers across the world. There are those who I have met who I come to give my utmost respect to for their character and their person. There are those who have shared more warmth and sincerity than people who I share my religion with.
And to be honest, I've met and seen people who call themselves Christian who stirs more anger, scorn, frustration and disgust than those who call themselves Muslim, though not for the same reasons. At the end, is there a difference?
It is not the religion that should be condemned at the end of the day, it is the sins in this world that deserves the condemnation. And it is the same sin borne of hatred, bitterness, spite, greediness, that continues to permeate in nations despite race, creed or gender.
What is it like, living in a Muslim country?
No different I would think, from living in any other country.
The "Next Blog" tab at the top of the page sometimes comes up with gems like this page. Refreshing, as it is usually junk! I enjoyed reading this specific piece, although I can't fix on the reason why.
Your question "..is there a difference" is one I ask a lot. I know the answer, I just wonder why there are some people who haven't found that answer. It may sound rude to assume that I am right.
Posted by
Anonymous |
8:30 PM
i've actually forgotten about this, literally 2 years ago! that's great about blogs, you can dig up the things you wrote in the past and see where you were then and where you are now.
i wonder what your answer is! i think i know the answer as well, and would like to assume i am right. ;)
Posted by
ee |
8:45 PM