Still new to the current church I am attending, I'm not quite ready to cope with polite smiling and in-between-conversations feelings of awkwardness that comes with the territory of being in new premises and people. And my usual practice is to flee home the moment the service ends.
I managed to learn a few tricks of church escapism to avoid the usual pleasantries that church people sometimes imposes on others (though heaven forbid that I would encourage anyone to do the same thing!):
1. Leave the moment the person standing behind the pulpit says "The meeting is over"!
2. Do not establish eye contact if possible as you leave.
3. If eye contact is established, smile briefly to convey the message that I'm-not-being-arrogant-but-I'm-just-a-little-shy-to-talk-to-you and quickly disengage and leave.
4. Don't look back as you leave.
5. Look at your watch as if you are in a hurry for an appointment.
But today en route with my usual practice, I passed Kit, who has been very warm in welcoming me into the church and community to the best of his abilities. And knowing my tendency to run away, he called me back to go for a drink. Though I rush off after services, I am still opened if a person specifically asks me to stay or do something. It's all about managing me.
I agreed anyway, and ended up having lunch with a few of them. And well, the time spent with the few of them was better than expected for several reasons; the people are warmer than I expected (or maybe because I expected them to return the same level of warmth I was giving, which isn't much actually) and other small things that was in some ways connected to what I was talking with God earlier.
In conclusion, as much an expert in church escapism one may be, having a real and deep fellowship with fellow brothers and sisters in Christ is really quite meaningful in one's walk as a Christian. I'll try to remember that next week. :P