Since this seems to be quite a 'hot topic' among the Christian community in Malaysia, thought I also will give my two cents worth.
But on second thoughts, I think Dave Chang articulates it so well, I think I'll keep my two cents to spend on something else. Why I think he articulates it well is that he respects Jeffrey/Jessie Chung as a person and yet does not condone the act.
I do think that despite the unnaturalness of the nature of homosexuality, perhaps we who represent the Christian community should not be so quick to jump at the word homosexuality, like in the words of a friend, "Beware of being obsessed with consistency to your own convictions instead of being devoted to God". Since it's her saying, I'm gonna phrase it as it is. But, I liked it because it reminds me how we can be so set in our convictions that we do not give room for the grace of God to work in mysterious ways.
Because at the end of the day, God is not limited to our weaknesses and mistakes, and He can use any situation and people to allow His glory to be seen. I think it is more important for us to show the same graciousness and love that we have been awarded by God ourselves.
I don't know about Jeffrey/Jessie Chung, but if I were him/her, I would kinda be upset if I were in his/her position as a person. Putting aside the validity of his/her actions, his/her feelings are still valid.
Just as this person's feelings are valid:
I know what is like to be a lonely boy, not to fit in, to be teased to tears, to watch the boys on the playground and feel such anxiety and insecurity about joining them that I would literally do anything to avoid it. I know what it is like to play with the girls with whom I have more in common and what it is like to feel different from the other boys my age yet have an insatiable need to be accepted and liked by them. I know the pain of molestation and what it is like to believe the lie that it is my fault, to feel shame and pain because a part of me wants it to happen again because if nothing else, he chose me and thought I was desirable, even if it was only for a moment behind a locked door, under the guise of secrecy, full of confusion and stolen innocence. I know what it is like to be so emotionally hungry for male love, affirmation and attention that the dirtiest of acts satisfies a portion of my hunger. I know what it feels like to believe that my longing for male love and acceptance wears the name "sex". I know what it is like to come to the realization that I am a homosexual even though I have never asked for or chosen my same-sex attractions. I know what it is like to be called "homo", "fag", and "queer" and to believe it is the truth. As a little boy, I dreamed about everything good: being loved, accepted and secure, about commitment and relationship. I dreamed of more, but lived on less.
Perhaps this will be useful for those who want to understand people who struggle with homosexuality, even if it's easier to judge them.
The journey of homosexuality
Post a Comment