Before I left the company prior to my current one, my manager then had a chat with me before I left. We talked about a number of things and among them he delicately broached on was about how as a single and attractive female, I should be wary of certain men who might not hesitate in using such a situation to their advantage.
I wasn't naive of course, seeing things only through pretty stain glass. But in the last three weeks, I think I fully understand what he was alluding to. I've never met so many miang (horny) men at such a short period of time before! They're still pretty well behaved in general and I can only think that the years of practising my fierce scowl and stand offish attitude will hopefully keep them that way.
I've had people calling me darling, saying things like now why haven't I seen your pretty face around before... you can always sit here *patting lap*... after helping you, you must remember me, you know... and whispering in my ear you look pretty with your hair tied up like that... Most of them married men!
And in the past three weeks I find I've been putting to practise the different facets of my personality more than before in the last two years. I've been fierce, stand offish, quiet, blur, innocent, girlish, sharp, tired, nutty before different people in order to manage the situations.
But it's actually been really fun, because for the first time I feel like I'm truly in a people business! And actually, the miang men are in truth the minority. A lot of the other people I meet are a rather decent lot.
I met one of the senior managers who has always seemed to have a soft spot for me (and all the other pretty Chinese girls for that matter) in the lift last week and as we spoke briefly, he looked appraisingly at me and the words, "You sudah berisi ah" (you've filled out), escaped his mouth. I was speechless and when I still had the stunned look on my face when I stepped out of the lift and turned to him who was still inside, he finally realised what he just said and quickly added, "I didn't mean that in a bad way!!"
And as the doors of the lift closed, he called out over the people standing in front of him and said, "We'll talk about this later!!!"
Yup, definitely meet a lot of different people in my company.
I don't understand the "sudah berisi?" hm.....
Posted by
StephyQ |
1:09 PM