It's a Sunday, and I'm at the East Coast for a business trip. It's been a 7 working day week for me after coming back from the Chinese New Year break. Phew... it's a personal record for me. I used to absolutely ABHOR working on weekends. My brain would just shut down and I could not go near work at all. Used to anyway.
Now it looks like I broke the threshold. If my ex-uni mates did not insist I join them for the final CNY dinner before Chap Goh Meh, I probably would have stuck my face in front of my comp for the rest of the weekend.
Stress level has shot up so high that I've even begun ignoring my mother. Even her usual jibes failed to bait me from my over-worked stupor, and only earned her a stony face glaring into the laptop and short grunts indicating to her that no other replies would be awarded to her. It was only when she took a nap in the afternoon yesterday and woke up hours later to find me still sitting in the same position with the same stressed face that she realised I was seriously over-working.
And since I am her daughter, who freakily mirrors her the most among her three children, she began to choose her moments and topics to ensure she got response from me. And when I say I mirror her, I'm not joking. I noticed I actually talk like her, have the same facial expressions, sit in the same position, slouch the same way, hold my chin in my hands like her, drive like her, sleep on the couch in the same position as she does, grouchy like her, use silence as a weapon like her, and well, a workaholic like her.
I got her to drop me at the office this afternoon to meet my other colleagues before we took off for the East Coast, and one of my colleagues went to ask her if she was worried because in his experience, there are parents who get worried too much (in my previous company, there were even parents who accompanied and waited for their kid's interview to be over... I don't know if it's just a Malaysian thing). And my mother proudly replied to my colleague that she understands, because she's in sales as well!
And when I say she says it proudly, it's not because she's proud of me, but because she's proud of herself. I know her that well. I say this all of course in utmost affection. My mom's been a great guru in my life, and believe me, it's taken us long and hard for us to get to this point.
No, not about work. More about mom.
Post a Comment