So anyway, I said no, went along my own way to speak to "unimportant" people. And after a while, I was thinking to myself about what a stupid thing for not walking through a door that was opened for me. I wanted to call my client rep back and ask him if I could join them.
But as I sat in front of my computer feeling the pangs of regret, it occurred to me...
Is rubbing my shoulders with a worldwide VP and AP director really all that important? My heart still feels a little sore for the missed opportunity, and my client rep will be sure to give me a nice lecture tomorrow for it. But... is it really that important?
...And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory...
Romans 8:15-17
Romans 8:15-17
I rub shoulders with God, the Creator of the entire universe... who else do I need to know? I have the privilege of calling the Creator Abba, Father. What other privilege do I need?
The other side of me though, the more prideful one that fuels my ambitions, is still trying to kick me in the butt for not joining them. But...
Keep me safe, O God,
for in you I take refuge.
I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing."
As for the saints who are in the land,
they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those will increase
who run after other gods.
I will not pour out their libations of blood
or take up their names on my lips.
LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Psalm 16
for in you I take refuge.
I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing."
As for the saints who are in the land,
they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight.
The sorrows of those will increase
who run after other gods.
I will not pour out their libations of blood
or take up their names on my lips.
LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I have set the LORD always before me.
Because he is at my right hand,
I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
because you will not abandon me to the grave,
nor will you let your Holy One see decay.
You have made known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Psalm 16
If my future lay in the hands of the VP and AP director, maybe I should continue to kick myself in the butt. But you know what, this was the same promise God reminded me of, before I came back from UK, when I was in a point in my life where I was waiting in transit for the next flight to goodness knows where. And you know what's beautiful?
What's beautiful is how this mighty Creator of the universe, the Great I am, Jehovah Jireh, still manages to nudges me at my elbow to remind me of my place in His plans from time to time. If I had joined them for dinner, if I had not sat down to rethink the motivations of my heart, if I had not tried to focus on what is important, the opportunity to experience God would not have happened.
Having a high position in my company, with people giving me the highest respect versus seeing God and being held in His arms of love? No comparison.