So I brought my two colleagues from France and America for seafood dinner at Tropicana last night. This is the same place we always go to when we uni mates want to meet up for a good meal. I seriously need to expand my knowledge of good restaurants. Silly me didn't think of calling Fi for recommendation. But then again, almost everything is soooo good and soooooo delicious to her.
I ordered quite a bit for three people - butter crab, pork ribs, taufu (beancurd), vegetable, prawns and mantau (fried bread). I thought it was a lot anyway. But both of them started talking about how small the food portions are in Malaysia that left them feeling hungry most of the time! And decided that was the secret to how we Malaysians remain thin. Hah... to think I spent years lamenting about my chubbiness. Though seriously... with my grueling work, I've definitely got no more complains. I'm more stressed about losing too much weight now!
So anyway, my closest friends know that gracefulness and poise are not my strongest suit, and I was concentrating very hard to try not to embarass myself in front of my two foreign colleagues. I was putting so much energy and focus on eating my pork ribs with my fork and spoon and prayed silently that it would not decide to escape from my death grip on it! Thank goodness my American colleague decided that he could afford to be ignorant on table manners and asked if he could use his fingers to eat the pork ribs. Heheh... The French man was a harder nut to crack and he remained the gentleman he was, steadily and very politely dissecting his food.
When it was time to address the crabs, I decided to take the lead and declared the only way to eat those is with the hands. I simply don't have the skill to eat those with a fork and spoon! Hahah... taking them for seafood was a good bet on my side, because between the both of them, they managed to finish a rather large dish of crabs and it was particularly satisfying for some reason to see my French colleague's hands covered with butter sauce! It's nice to know that Malaysian food can convince the French man to abandon his immaculate table manners!
There really is nothing more satisfying to a Malaysian than seeing the guests they are hosting enjoying the food in Malaysia with relish!
Malaysians and their food
Post a Comment