My Team Leader has just left for a competitor company. It's not really sudden news; he mentally prepared us for this weeks back, but I was hoping that he would not get the job. But his last day here came and I found myself incredibly upset. My morale plunged and I couldn't concentrate on work the moment I heard the news.
The whole team was impacted because he had such a strong presence and influence, not just on us and the business, but on a lot of people in the company. More so on me because he was really like a papa hen to me, teaching me, sharing his knowledge, protecting me, and not scolding me when I made mistakes. He was like the symbol of strength of the team. With all the sh*t we had to go through, he was there like a pillar we could hold on to.
Now that he's gone...
When he left, I refused to shake his hand and it took me a while to say goodbye because I was having such a tough time holding back my tears. To my mortal mortification, somebody is telling everyone I cried... yeessh...
I feel impacted by his departure because of a more personal, deeper history that he had touched indirectly. If it were not for that, I would not have been as emotional as I was.
But business is business.
To be honest, the only thing I liked about my TL being in a competitor company is that now I recognise a face in it. It makes it more fun to know who you are competing with, even if it's akin to the student trying to compete with the teacher.
The tides are definitely turning. Just when I thought I was slipping into a comfort zone, something like this pops up. How very interesting. ;)
Turning tides
Post a Comment