Bro O once pointed out about how people could mishandle success. I think I was unthinkingly veering towards that tendency until he made me aware of it and to exercise caution against it. I think I'm a little more cautious now, though I still feel pulled by it. Materialism is intoxicating.
As a student, I had just enough, but not more that I could spend with any ease of mind. There were things that I wanted but could never have, and those things used to taunt me. So there's a certain rush of power when I can now buy the things that I always wanted without a blink of an eye. That power is intoxicating. There's always a threshold though, when I've spent to a certain level, the same anxiety I used to have as a student would kick in. But even now, that threshold slowly goes up bit by bit.
So I guess it's time for me to check myself in this area of my life. I wonder, if I had my financial comfort stripped of me, will I be able to live contentedly with bare minimum: of clothes, food, bodycare and makeup and even readjust back to a life dependent on public transport?
Materialist me
Post a Comment