[+] Met up with a college mate I've not seen in years. Very timely. Just when I needed to borrow RM30. ;)
[+] Was amused to find in a mamak in Bangsar, it had a PA system set up to warn patrons of police giving summons to those who double parked. "Saman, saman, saman!"
Now that's called value-added services.
[+] I was talking to colleague S today and he was telling me about how someone had asked colleague J why he was such good friends with the Malays instead of with the Chinese people. S was very annoyed with that remark because he felt it narrow-minded and racist.
If there were any weird traits I could identify, it would be that I tend to be comfortable with all other races except for the Chinese race. I love Malays, Indians, Bahamians, Caucasians more than Chinese folks.
Best friend in kindergarten was a Malay girl, best friends in primary were Indian girls, though in secondary school, my mom was relieved I finally had close Chinese friends (the irony, it was the most superficial friendships I ever had).
In college, my best buddies were Punjabi, Indian and Malay folks. While in university, though I was close to a group of Chinese folks, the most special friendships I made was with an English dude and a Bahamian girl. In the office, my closest buddy was a guy who was mixed Chinese and Indian but looked like a Malay, as well as other Malay and Indian people.
Oh yes, and I have the weirdest fascination with African Americans. Don't ask me why, I just am.
[+] I'm a fiercely loyal person. A colleague mentioned today that my loyalty is unquestioned because apparently I proved it to him when I stood up for him against my own manager, risking political suicide.
It reminded me of my first manager, SM, in ME, when she told me about the manager's training they had where the AP bosses put her on stage as a case study and were questioning her on her team's (which was just me and her) cohesiveness and loyalty. She was the only one among all the managers, who could say that she would trust me with her ATM pin number, and yes, even her life.
SM and I were more than best friends. Seven managers after her, it only occurred to me how extremely fortunate I had been to have a manager like her. I don't think I could ever find the same chemistry we had with anyone else.
She was Indian too. :)
Labels: Random things