This is why I love kids... 

We had another visit to Rumah Hope today. And we had a Ice-Cream Party! I was in charge of buying toppings. My eyes bulged a little when I saw Hershey's chocolate and strawberry syrup while buying the toppings. And floral sprinkles besides just the normal rainbow sprinkles!

Okay, I've come to realise another weird trait of mine. I must have my food colourful or I will not be interested in it at all. This is part of the reason why I like salad. I need the red colour tomatoes add to the food. And this is why I like capsicums. I like the vivid colours of the red, yellow and green capsicums. This is why I go bonkers when I see colourful cupcakes.

At the orphanage, while waiting for the rest of the people from BLC to join, I was showing Michelle and Wei Lian the toppings I bought. Wei Lian and a few others went to leave the ice-creams they bought in the freezers in the kitchen when Michelle suggested, "You want to go put the stuff you bought in the fridge as well?"

My pupils widened just a little. Clutching the Hershey's syrup tighter and pressing it closer to my chest I asked slowly and cautiously, "Why?" It was as if a primal instinct to protect one's territory kicked in.

Michelle must have sensed a snarl building up in me. She held her hands up and took a step back. "Okaaaayy... you just hold on to those. No one's going to take that from you."

Still eyeing at her suspiciously I quickly put my treasures back into the Cold Storage plastic bags and placed it on the table behind where I stood. No one was going to take away my Hershey's syrups and pretty colourful sprinkles.

No. One.

Except the actual kids of course, since I bought it for them. When the ice-cream party started, I was happily pouring chocolate syrup over the kids' ice-creams. After a while I realised half of my chocolate syrup was gone while Michelle's strawberry syrup was only a quarter gone. While she continued being her level-headed self in ensuring all the kids had just enough and not over-indulging into sugar highs, I was happily drowning the kids in chocolate syrup.

After a while, Michelle declared the kids had more than enough. She sent me away to wash the dripping syrup from the bottles and when the kids saw me, they were all crying, "Sister! Some chocolate please sister! Please! Please!"

Just as I was opening the caps to oblige, I saw Michelle standing in front of me looking at me with disappointed eyes. She grabbed the bottles away and said a firm No and went to wash the bottles herself and lectured me about being firm with kids or they would walk all over me.

Ahhh... see, that's where the problem starts. When I'm with kids, I tend to revert to the kid in me. It's not that they walk all over me, it's because I'm on their side. Hehe.

One thing I like about kids is when you win their hearts, their adoration and friendship is sincere and whole. When that happens I always feel a rush of happiness and wonder. When the child sees you and smiles at you and you know you're not just anyone part of the crowd. It's that the child singles you out and sees you as special. It's an incredible feeling.

As we were playing games with the kids, Yu Chiet had to partner one of the kids who didn't have any partners. Yu Chiet's daughter, Darlene, broke out crying and screaming for her dad, and without a thought, I swept her up in my arms and held her as I gave my instructions to the other kids in playing the game. I was a little surprised she didn't object to me holding her because I never approached her before this. And after a while she just sat in my arms quietly while the games went on.

Just as I was leaving, she ran to the fences to wave goodbye to me. And I fell in love with her then and there. Seeing her lock her eyes at me and wave at me as if she was sorry to see me go... awwwww.

But no, mind you, it isn't my motherly instincts kicking in. It's just aunty instincts.


Labels:

Hey, I thought u had a new hair style??? hm...from this pic...macam tak banyak different leh????

Ya..I agree as wht u said...u are more to 'Aunty' look than 'Motherly' look... :P

Post a Comment