Slowly being English... 

The first week at work I was nervous, edgy and frustrated because I had to do a lot of cold calls to practice my sales pitch. I felt rubbish in 95% of my calls, because there was a lot of fears. You could hear the nervousness drip from my voice and I kept hearing the voice of my first manager, SM, in ME telling me, "Firm, firm," because my first job was telesales based and I was always nervous on calls then as well.

By the end of last week, I was wondering what utter madness convinced me I could do sales and during the weekend I was contemplating whether or not I should be looking out for an admin job.

Every outbound call I made I had to look upwards and mouth a silent desperate plea for help. Had some pretty nasty calls that really shook me up.

Surprisingly, when I got on the calls today, my mind was calm, I spoke slowly and calmly, and had the most productive day since I joined. Even my team leader commented that I sounded very different today.

I think what helped was after an intensive week being exposed to 'English' culture and people, I'm a little more at ease and confident I'm not a total idiot. I'm even beginning to speak with a slight English twang! I still sound more American (I blame the media) than anything else though. And I'm slowly clue-ing into the English wavelength.

Not that difficult. Think beer.