If I should boast, let me boast in the Lord 

When my non-Christian cousin commented about her doubts on whether material wealth to propound a religion should be accepted, I was a little surprised. After all, the message seemed to be, gain a spiritual life and material wealth, it's a win-win situation, shouldn't people readily jump at that? I have never agreed with propounding a prosperity gospel. I think it theologically wrong to do so. But I'm not going into a whole essay on this.

I emphasized that material wealth is not important, but admitted I have been blessed abundantly in material wealth nonetheless.

The last few days I reflected quite a bit on my life. By Malaysian Chinese standards, I can be considered quite fortunately blessed. Was it always the case? I'll be the first to say no. Has life always been gentle on me? Again, I say no.

Maybe some pains and darkness in my life was self-inflicted. Maybe I allowed myself to feel more hurt than I should have. Everyone has their own tears to shed in their lives, mine no less.

Even as a Christian, there were times when I felt that if I had truly known what the cost was to be a Christian, I might have hesitated. There were so many times when I wished God had allowed me to go silently into the night. But time and time again God refused quietus. Three times by my count, how many more stayed?

I look around me now and I see the whispers of greater blessings to come, more than I have already received. And I am once again struck in awe in the good God I have chosen to serve.

I have sufficient material wealth. I have family that so strongly support me. I have a church now! Yay! I have friends and people I count Special to me. I have a sense of belonging, I have a sense of purpose. I know who I am, I know what I am, and I know where I'm going. I have assurance of peace.

Looking back, I've come a long way. Looking ahead, I have eternity to go. I will have it no other way, my friend.


"So I will restore to you the years that
the swarming locust has eaten,
The crawling locust,
The consuming locust,
And the chewing locust,
My great army which I sent among you.

You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
And praise the name of the Lord your God,
Who has dealt wondrously with you;
And My people shall never be put to shame.

Then you shall know that I am in the
midst of Israel:
I am the Lord your God
And there is no other.
My people shall never be put to shame.

Joel 2:25-27