The Golden Question 

Inspired by Charis' post, and reminded last night by The Most Frequently Asked Question, The Golden Question, The One Question To Rule All that I am constantly being asked in UK...


"Are you from China?"


And it's always the cashiers that ask me this question. I guess it's the safest question to ask a stranger.

The first few times I was asked I would always smile pleasantly and tell them I'm from Malaysia and we would chat a little about our respective countries before I hurried along my way.

After that I've gotten so exasperated with the question when I was asked, "Which country are you from?" I raised my hand before he could continue and demanded, "Please don't say China or Japan."

To which the poor guy looked stumped.

Then last night, as I was at Tesco getting groceries, the cashier yet again looked at me and asked The Golden Question.

Through clenched teeth, "No, I'm not from China. Everyone asks me that though. I'm from Malaysia. Malaysia has pretty girls too you know."

To which he burst out laughing very loudly. At the very least, I left Tesco with a new planned activity for my daily commutes - to think of new sarcastic responses for each time somebody asks me The Golden Question.

Y I nv came across such golden question b4??? haha.....

i think because in Newcastle everyone assumes everyone else is from China. In London, you get A LOT MORE foreigners. Like A LOT. half of the londoners are europeans i think!

He he, I get a similar question every time I go backpacking! They always guess Japan, Korea or Singapore...since a Malaysian girl seldom travels alone.

Post a Comment