Every Tuesday evening, I go to the Andrew & Nicky's for homegroup. Sometimes we alternate to 52, but most times it's at the Andrew & Nicky's. The church has several different homegroups, and I was first invited to join the one at church, which is mainly English people. But after giving it a miss the first time, I was invited by Nicky to join theirs, which is the international group.
And since then I've been joining them every week. We usually meet at 7.30pm for dinner, and then do some Bible study and break off at 10.30pm. It's a pretty diverse lot. Among the countries represented are Malaysia, Bulgaria, Germany, China, Hong Kong, America, England, Afghanistan, Italy, South Korea and I'm sure a few other more countries.
Today we had a Christmas party and we had some students from Thames Valley University joining us for the first time.
I've joined them for a month now, and I'm increasingly more and more comfortable with the lot of them.
Confession: I feel most at home with people who are not Chinese than Chinese people themselves. But this is not to say I'm not comfortable with Chinese people. I'm just more comfortable with people who are of a different race. Don't ask me why. This is why I say if my identity was not firmly entrenched as a citizen of God's kingdom, I would be facing major identity crisis, because there is not one group of people this world that I can fully relate myself to.
I also feel the same way too about Chinese people back home! I love them a lot and have many good Chinese friends, but I always felt the odd ball. Like in many ways, I didn't belong, or that I was from a different culture. The older I grew, the more I felt half Western, and half Asean. Yeah, a little lost, like not fully belonging in either cultures. But God had the last laugh - he made me fall for a Chinese bloke!
Posted by
CHARIS |
2:53 PM