I can nearly cook 

There are some distinctive culture difference between London and Kuala Lumpur life. Well, many distinctive cultural differences. But one in particular is how lifestyle in KL is one that is very social and we go out a lot to have dinner and drinks with friends, whether in a small or big setting.

Here in London, going out and having a good meal is quite expensive, so people usually favour having dinner parties in their homes.

I got invited to enough dinner parties to be bitten by the bug, so last Saturday I invited some folks over my flat for a small dinner party.

I went with a friend to the local Chinese supermarket to get the necessary ingredients and was quite happy to find that it carried quite a lot of things. My mind was already thinking of what I could be cooking for my next dinner party.

They also had precooked food which only required reheating. I was hesitant to pick those because it felt like cheating, but my friend looked at me with a wry smile and said, "Remember, the point of you having the dinner party is to get to know the people better, not to show off how good a cook you are."

-_-

Fiiiinnee... so I picked up some char siew (Chinese bacon) and frozen won ton. On top of those, I boiled some good ol kai lan (Chinese broccoli) and steamed tau fu with my favourite barley tong sui. It taste almost just like my mom's!

Everyone, which was a mix of English, German, South Korean and Japanese people, was quite excited about the fare and having no prior benchmarks, claimed that it was quite good. To another Malaysian, it would have been marked below average, but then again, I am a beginner at cooking. I may have gotten a C at cooking, but definitely an A for effort!