"Yes!" the Chinese girl's eyes gleamed while a few others smiled innocently albeit a little nervously.
She chuckled inwardly to herself when the South Korean and French girls said they didn't know how to play while the second Englishman was the worst liar in town, and the first Englishman who proposed the game was fairly straight-laced as well. They didn't seem to be too much a match for a wily Chinese girl.
Well, she's Chinese. She should be wily. Chinese people are meant to be wily. Chinese people are natural gamblers. She learnt how to
So after having a nice meal Martin cooked, he brought out his poker set. Long story short, I didn't bring shame to Chinese people. I won everyone's chips (no, we didn't gamble with money unfortunately, we were after all, Christians), we had really good laughs throughout the night, packed away the cards and chips and decided it was a pretty good night.
Some months back my colleagues were trying to convince me to join in on the poker games they had, but they were playing pretty high stakes, minimum of £20 for each round. Besides being a Christian and making sure I maintain a good testimony, declined politely. That and the fact that I only like to win. Losing and losing real money would make it a painful double whammy to me.
I also told them I didn't know how to play, just to avoid them from pressing me to join them if they thought I was the slightest bit interested.
But as they were preparing to set the poker game in the office after work, my colleagues were trying to learn the rules of the game, and one of them was struggling to remember which hand was better than the other.
Being just a little impatient with him, I told him from across the room, "No, straight flush is better than a flush and the royal flush is the best hand!"
When I realised that I was easily better than half of the people who were going to play, by virtue of knowing the rules of the game, I was nearly tempted to join them for a game or two if it weren't for something in church I had to rush to! So, well, thank God for being a Christian I guess!