Last week, my Italian flatmate, Anto, cooked dinner for me and German Anne, and the food was amazing! She made a dish out of tomato puree boiled with vegetable stock, and boiled sweet potato and salmon with risotto and it was absolutely delicious!
Before she served the dinner, she gave me a baleful look and said that she was still waiting for me to cook and I had to cook before I moved out of the flat.
So last night I decided Monday would be the day and told everyone that I would be cooking dinner. What else would I cook but FRIED RICE. Malaysian enough what.
But my challenge was, we have all started on the food by blood type craze together (don't ask me why, but a big reason is 'just for fun') and I'm blood type O, Anto's AB and Anne's A, so I spent 2 days thinking what kind of food I could prepare that were compatible for all of us. I finally gave up trying to find a compatible meat dish to all 3 of us and decided to make vegetarian fried rice, roasted asparagus and a fish dish.
Not to boast, but as Anne said, it was the best I've ever cooked. Hehe.
Fried rice was alright. I ran out of dark soy sauce because Anto finished it all. Italian nut. And I didn't manage to go to the Chinese supermarket to get an extra bottle, so I got one from Waitrose (supermarket) but they carry an anglicized brand of dark soy sauce which was just plain no good. But luckily I prepared extra garlic and chilli for condiments, which surprisingly went well with everyone (by everyone, I mean an Italian, German, Australian, Spanish and English!)
The asparagus was lovely, and my steamed fish with ginger and spring onions was REALLY GOOD!!! Ok, maybe not REALLY GOOD!!! but really good!
When you consider the fact that it was my first time making it, and Anne who usually doesn't fish loved it, and Chris (who works as a chef) and Anto who are both really good cooks thought it was really good, it makes me happy enough.
The new Spanish girl (who joined us for dinner tonight), will be moving in next week. When the girls first told me that she was confirmed moving in, I felt a tinge of sadness because my time in the flat is really coming to an end. I will really miss living with them, because we all get along so well, and Anto and I basically crack each other up. But the nice thing is they have agreed to let me keep an extra set of keys to the flat so I can come in and out anytime I want.
It's nice that all of us get along well, even with the new Spanish girl though I won't be around too much to need to get along with her. Anto and I get along so well that we end up laughing like mad with one another most of the time. Anne and Belinda are great to tease, and I keep telling everyone I'm moving out because Belinda (her room is beside mine) snores too loudly/too smelly/crazy/laughs too loud/talks too much/doesn't let me watch TV.
Sigh... moving this weekend, I'm really going to miss the girls. And I still cringe thinking of the two mini terrorists (KiCheol's kids) who I'm going to have to live with.
Labels: Friends