Every first Sunday of the month we have church family lunch together. And a typical English meal would consist of the main course and desserts. To the English, they call desserts "pudding".
During the church family lunch 2 months ago, as everyone moved on to their puddings, I noticed Pam walking into the church hall holding only a piece of orange. She looked deep in thought, and she finally shook her head slightly, obviously changed her mind about the orange, and placed the orange into her handbag.
I was walking towards her and the timing was such that as she placed the orange in her bag, I was in between her and a group of young people.
And with a loud voice I said in a mock indignant and shocked voice...
Me: Pam!! Are you stealing that orange!?!
Pam: No, as a matter of fact, I wasn't! You see, I took the orange thinking that I would have it, but decided against it and thought since I brought it all the way here, I might as well take it home with me to have it later.
At this point I'm grinning at her in my most cheekiest grin as the other young people around started laughing. Pam quickly recovered from my cheeky outburst and gave me her amused half-smile. Trust me, she loves me more for my absurd cheekiness!
If I was living in Asia, no, I probably wouldn't be as cheeky as that to an elder. Especially not with the Asian culture of 'saving face'. But I think even by English standards, that was probably a little bold of me to pipe up like that. But the words came out of my mouth before I even realised what I was going to say.
So sometimes, it is good that I don't think before I speak! And only with Pam!
Funny Pam Moment #2
Post a Comment