To live is Christ, to die is gain 


This is Pam. I kid you not, she is an incredible person.

She is 80++ years of age, lives alone though she has many friends and family, revs her car like she's a rally racer, will be more than happy to enter a verbal spar with anyone and probably will win with her sharp wit and quick comebacks.

She is also part of a choir group that puts up a performance every month. And every month, she goes around to people from the church persuading them to buy a ticket to attend the concert. Persuading is a nice word. I think most people would use coerce, or rather, emotionally blackmail people to attend.

It's a regular joke about how she's the most feared woman in church because if she thinks that a person has a remotely small chance to be convinced to go for her concert, she would hound the person and pester them until they give in because no one likes to say no to an elderly lady, something everyone knows she takes advantage of.

Ever since I joined the church, and innocently obliged to go to her concert the first time, she has since stopped asking me if I was available to attend her concert.

No, she simply comes up to me, shoves a ticket into my hand and the weekend before the concert, reminds me that I owe her money for it. What man, got conned by an 80++ year old lady. How I know they can be as cunning as that.

But hehe, I don't really mind. I adore this lady, and I now look forward to her concerts so I can go and support her. She rewards everyone who goes by bringing them back to her house for refreshments anyway, and entertains everyone with her stories of old, or a show of her slagging off someone.

There's a rumour, which she discredits but because of how absurdly veracious it is of her character that its hard for anyone to disbelieve it, that the choir singers have a competition each time to see who sells the most tickets among themselves and Pam wins each time hands down. She was a geography teacher a long time ago, but everyone says it's a shame she was never in sales.

I am also quite attached to her because during the more difficult times of uncertainties, she used to come up to me every time she saw me, asking me how things were and asking what she could specifically pray for me for. Because of her wit and quick tongue, she is also the one person who sets me off laughing the most.

She raised 8 kids with an equally remarkable man, so those who met him before he passed away told me. Her husband was a dentist who gave free dental service to all missionaries who returned to the UK.

I had a meal with her and a few others from church during New Year's eve last year, and she told us the story about how she had to have a surgery to remove a cancerous lump growing on her foot. The surgeon asked if she would like to be under anesthetics or just had it applied around her foot. She asked for the latter. The surgeon then asked her if she would like to look elsewhere as he removed the cancerous spot out of her foot and she went no, she wanted very much to watch the entire process. And was very fascinated as she watched the flesh being removed and kept asking him questions. That's just an example of how incredibly formidable a character she is.

Last Sunday, after Pam once again gave me a ticket to her choir without even asking if I was going, I went to talk to Martin and Sarah. I explained to Sarah about the choir and Pam as she was new to the church. And because she looked interested, I asked if she wanted to go and she said yes.

Then Martin was saying about how he can't go this time, but was a little apprehensive about how to tell Pam. Then his eyes shone as he asked me whether it would work if he told Pam that he found Sarah as a replacement for him. Shortly after that he went to find Pam and I went to kay poh for the fun of it.


Martin: Pam, I can't go for your choir this month because... *launches into a detailed explanation why*

At this point, the corner of Pam's mouth lifts into a small smile as she allowed Martin to nervously explain to her why he couldn't go, which sets me off into a fit of giggle. It was so funny to see Martin squirm.

Pam: Why Martin *she says in a konon-nya innocent tone*, I must pray for you that you can finish your work beforehand so you can come then!

Martin: Err... err... no, but... *launches into another 5 minute explanation* And, and, what I did is, I asked Sarah to go along for the choir in my place!

I was still giggling behind Martin and he occasionally turned to shoot me a dirty look.

Pam: *Suddenly turning to me* By the way, did you ask JeongSoo to come?

Me: *Immediately shuts up* Err. No?

Pam: What!?! You haven't asked him!?! But I entrusted it to you this morning to ask him!

Me: Err... err... Actually,Martindidn'taskSarahtogoforyourconcert,Idid!

Martin: HEY!!!

Me: Whaaaattt... she *points at Pam* put me on the spot!!!


I will miss Pam very much indeed, when the Lord calls her back to be home with Him. She exemplifies "to live is Christ and to die is gain" Philippians 1:21.

Wow, Pam sounds pretty cool :) BTW, how much is a ticket?

she is extremely cool! the kind who wears humongous shoes and is extremely rare to find someone that can fit into them! the tickets cost between £7-10, which isn't that much anyway. i'm a big big fan of hers! :)

Post a Comment