Trip to Malacca 

Last week I followed my mom to Malacca on one of her business trips. My mom's reasoning was, if I was just going to bum around in the house, I might as well bum in a 5 star hotel. Good enough for me!

Plus I've actually been wanting to visit Malacca because it's a really interesting town, with a lot of its historic heritage preserved, not like KL, which has erased a lot in its bid to be a modern urban jungle. More importantly and probably the real reason - to eat the Malacca chicken rice ball!!! It didn't disappoint!




I enjoyed bumming in this Holiday Inn room with the ocean view.




While my mom worked, I explored Jonker street, which is the main tourist area. I loved how antiquated the whole town feels.




Everything about it is full of character, even the shutter windows!




I love the grill doors too. Not in my house though, it could feel a bit too grim. Although my grandparents house used to have a grill door like this and I remember being told by my elders when I was a wee girl to watch my hand so that it won't be caught in the grill when they pushed it open. I think I used to climb the grill door as well.






The town was also filled with Chinese temples which had very interesting artifice and architecture. I was approached by two monks, 1 who tried to give me a card with the picture of Buddha on it, while the other contended with me that even as a Christian I am meant to do good and wanted me to donate money to him to build a temple. If I spoke any Mandarin at all, I would have had a bit of theology debate, but I guess it was good that I wasn't able to communicate at all and went my way. I hate the high-handedness of supposedly "religious" people trying to bend Christianity to serve their own purposes.




There are also a lot of antique stores in Malacca and it was utterly fascinating for me to browse through those stores.




The town square with lots of trishaw operators waiting for tourists.




Christian heritage thanks to the Dutch built in 1753.

Labels: