I love how lately the teenage girls in church in the past few weeks who usually ignore me (and most other adults, not just me) has been quite chummy with me.
Especially when I'm having a conversation with some guy.
I was talking with a first year university guy who during one of the evening service when out of a blue, one of the girls said hello to me loudly and came to stand next to me and without missing a beat I greeted them back warmly and proceeded to introduce them to the guy. The guy quickly excused himself in the next few seconds and I was left with the girls giggling to me about how one of them thought he was very cute.
I was very promptly reminded of my teenage days, especially with Lekha, my best ditzy friend. And I couldn't help but mentally slap my forehead. I was that irritating huh.
The following week I was having lunch in the garden with some of the guys, and the guys being schoolteachers started asking me about how to cope with teenage girls because they found it challenging. I had to remind them to be patient because teenagehood is a very difficult phase, if not the most difficult, and sometimes, pointing to myself, they grow out of it and turn out fairly ok.
When I first came to England nearly 1 and a half years ago and for the first time in my life started interacting with English teenagers, especially female English teenagers, I was very intimidated. I didn't understand them, they didn't understand me, and we both steered clear from each other.
But I guess there is an international language that most females across nations can communicate through after all. Teenage fancies and boys.
Girls and boys
Post a Comment