I usually have backup "lazy food" ie when I just can't be bothered to prepare anything and need something to fill my tummy. It's usually soup. A couple of tin soups hidden in my cupboard is always a good thing. When I need something slightly healthier lazy food, I'll go for more posh soup like Covent Garden soup, which are usually really good.
It wasn't that I was lazy today, but I got back at half past six and didn't have much time before I had the youth work at 7pm. It was the first day back after two weeks Easter break.
One thing I'll give to the British folks. They have proper breaks during the year, ie when the kids have their holiday breaks, even adult activities take a break. It reminds adults that they are not super human machines and they need to pace themselves with proper rests in between. It feels so completely different to the Asian workworkwork mentality.
Having four different seasons in a year also reminds you that an individual can go through different seasons in their lives, to be sensitive to those seasons and respond to them accordingly.
Anyway, I think secretly, a lot of the leaders were mentally bracing themselves to welcome back the kids. A certain lad, S, in particular. We had banned him for a month or so due to discipline issues.
I was actually not expecting to see him, and to my surprise, he was there early and ready to get with the program. If I was him, a young, proud and ignorant teenager who got chased away by the church on numerous occasions, I would have turned my nose up at the church and say I don't want to be here anyway.
But no matter how many times the church has sent him away, and how his friends and even family members who stay away from the church and would be happy he did too, he keeps coming back. And he was in good behaviour too.
Most of the kids were. We were pleasantly surprised at the good behaviour when there have been days when we want to pull all our hair out.
Naomi L remains as my favourite girl. She's gentle, shy, well mannered, beautiful and generous. When the leaders were gently teasing her about something, her face glowed and her eyes shone with happiness and she makes you believe that the tighter you embrace her, the more she'll grow and burst into flowers and sunshine.
If children are the future of tomorrow, I'll be willing to put all my money into her.