Grace 

Next week school children have one week holiday for half-term. So last night we had a BBQ special for the youth. And no surprise at seeing a particular individual, who had a knack of appearing only when there's free food.

I found it funny when one of the leaders was recounting to me (I was hidden away half the time in the kitchen preparing things) about how the kids can sometimes seem so ungrateful with a gimmegimmegimme attitude and with no big thankyous.

But what a gift the children have given us as leaders. They've allowed us to learn more about grace, to remember grace that has been given to us and allow us to return it in turn to them.

I asked one of the boys to help me with the tuck shop (we sell sweets to the kids at the end of the evening) and it was incredibly heart-warming to hear him say things like, "Wow! Wait till my mom see me doing this!! I feel so grown up!!"

I think Malaysian churches can be quite good in engaging kids and allowing them to feel ownership of the gospel. But I think there is a lot of real, dangerous and immense danger replicating such a method of engagement by senior church leadership to lay leaders ministering to the congregation as a whole. A proper, healthy and guarded approach both at youth and at congregation as a whole should be had, but if today's trend of engaging people who have no real understanding of the Bible to lead "cell groups", to "worship lead" and "lead Word" continue to move upwards, in another 10 years, where these same people move into more senior leadership the church in Malaysia will be in trouble.

They already are, but do not see it nor understand it. What they see is God's abounding grace, but nor do they see it in full clarity or understand how utterly precious that is.

But I'm in no position to judge them. Malaysia is my Achilles heels. It is not a battle I can say I can wage and triumph. I pray my brothers and sisters there will survive the artillery better than I have.

I had a chat with one of the more spirited girls after the talk. So much potential, but also so much danger in her making mistakes that can waylay the potential. In the past when I've taken a stern teacher-student stance with her, she clamped up and hardened her heart that made me feel i was pouring water over oil. But when I spoke with her yesterday at her level, she had a listening attitude when I told her all the potential I saw in her and the only reason why I pulled her aside to have the chat is because of all the girls, I didn't want her ruining her potential because she has so much.

20 minutes after as she was running about playing with someone else in the church, I suggested that they play outside in the church garden and she responded meekly, "Yes, EW."

I was so pleased that she didn't feel resentful at me for talking to her, and that possibly, possibly, the words of affirmation did rest in her heart!

To have my words of affirmation make some difference in her life will be an immense blessing. I hope that one day, I can in turn return the grace given me 8 years ago, in a corner of A&W drive in.