God is fair 

I've been busy and drained for the last two weeks with deadlines causing me to feel like I'm constantly running to catch a leaving train.

Truth be told it isn't just work that keeps me busy but that'll be a story for another time.

I have been thinking a lot lately and I wonder whether this is just a common human habit to think as much as I do or is it something I do too much of.

I met up with an old friend from college days on Friday night. It must have been 7 years since we last saw each other! I was seriously exhausted on Friday and I could hardly function in the office the whole day, and plus I had a bit of tummy upset from lunch so I felt like I was seriously dragging myself to meet her in central London after work.

But I was very glad to catch up with her. We did get along well enough in college but I was a little surprised on how well we got along on Friday night! She brought the best parts out of me I think, and I was soon chatting, making stupid comments, cracking jokes and being the girl all my best friends love about me the most. Felt like that part of me has been dormant for quite a while as English people don't tend to draw that out of me much.

Being a Penang girl, she even helped me practise my Hokkien! Which I'm glad is still there if just a bit rusty.

Before we parted at the tube station I was telling her in Hokkien a thought that ran through my head before I met her.


Me: Ta ma hor, wa ti kua teh leh ang moh lang eh bat chiu hor, ani sui oh! Oo ani cheh sek. Wa eh peng yu oo chip pai gia pictures of ee lang eh eyes hor, even if it's blue color hor, boh xiang eh! Oo eh xiang oo chui, oo eh xiang ice!

Valyn: Wa lang pun eh ah, contacts lorh. Wa pun oo ah.

Me: Gui mah!

Valyn: Boh gui! Chin pi eh.

Me: Ai lui si gui la! Anyway, so ta ma wa kua te leh ang moh si mm si, I feel jealous. But then... ee lang eh pi ku leh... chin tua.

*Uses my finger to draw a big nose over mine*


Me: Then wa xiao, God is fair.

*Nods head seriously*

Valyn: ... *hangs her head*

Me: Hehehehhe...


Don't understand? Translation below.



Me: Earlier hor, I was looking at the Westerners' eyes hor, very pretty oh! They have so many different colours. My friend once took pictures of their eyes hor, even if it's blue color hor, it can be different eh! Sometimes the blue looks like there's water, sometimes it looks like there's ice!

Valyn: We also can have what, contacts lorh. I have it too.

Me: Expensive mah!

Valyn: Not expensive! Cheap eh.

Me: If it needs money it's expensive la! Anyway, so I was looking at the Westerners, I feel jealous. But then... their nose... is very big.

*Uses my finger to draw a big nose over mine*


Me: Then I was thinking, God is fair.

*Nods head seriously*

Valyn: ... *hangs her head*

Me: Hehehehhe...