I took the day off today to spend it with Naomi. We both hate the picture above because we're both not the let's-take-silly-pictures type.
The L family has been amazing in caring for me since I moved to London and joined the church. And 12 year old Naomi and I have a special friendship going on.
Her father suggested last Sunday I should arrange to meet her this week while she's still on school holiday, so I took the Friday off to take her out. When we were headed to have lunch together, I initially thought we might feel awkward, but we quickly warmed up and started talking about anything and everything.
As we chatted it dawned on me what was great with having a friendship with a 12 year old is that I'm relearning again to trust people, opening myself up to embrace someone into my life and be embraced back. A reinforcement of a lesson I think the Lord has been trying to get me to learn this week.
After lunch we went window shopping and we were in a store that sold knick knacks. One section had dozens of kitchen timers in various shapes.
"Let's set them all to go off in 5 minutes time, go away and watch what happens!!!" whispered the most childish of us two. Me of course.
So we furtively set all the timers to go off in 5 minutes and then casually sauntered to the front while watching the next person who was going to walk near the timers. In a few minutes it started going off but disappointingly soft and without much commotion.
It has been a real blessing to have the L family to willingly and lovingly accept me as a family friend. And an even more blessing to have friendships where there's a special connection where you know you mean A LOT to one another.