Give first before taking 

I've started to spend a little more time with work and colleagues, and decreasingly with the church and friends. Living in a house with six other people from church has an advantage though. I no longer have to make plans to go out and meet other people - I hang out with those I live with, in the house! The dark, cold, wet and windy weather does have a part to play in that too admittedly.

After two years living in London, I have to say, it's only been recently I've started to feel relaxed here.

For a lot of reasons, I was quite quiet in the office and just went about with my own tasks without too much interaction with the people around me. One of the reasons was I felt so different from people, I was sure people were judging me, measuring my words and actions or looking down at me. I was pretty much, afraid of the people around me.

Two weeks ago, one of my colleagues commented, "A year ago we couldn't get you to talk. Now we can't get you to stop talking." Apparently I've blossomed right in front of her eyes. Because suddenly I was talking most of the time and people from different business units who walk past the sales floor seem to often stop to chat, joke, shake my chair to say hi. There was actually a day when I started to feel aggravated that so many people were stopping to say hi to me because it was interrupting my concentration at work.

All because I recently learned a neat little trick. Apparently, when you actually genuinely like people, guess what? They somehow genuinely like you back in return! Funny innit.

"We love (God) because He first loved us." 1 John 18:19

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you." Matthew 6:14

Funny concept. To receive, you first need to give.