Vermillion tights 



Some months back, I got up in the morning with my mind fixated on wearing my long black jumper with tights and boots.

The thought just stuck in my head and refused to let it go.

I was running late, and I couldn't find ANY of my normal black tights anywhere but was so sure I had at least one pair somewhere I emptied my wardrobe a couple of times in my search for my tights.

I ran out of time but refused to admit defeat, so I decided that the only pair of tights I did find will have to do. A vermillion pair of tights I bought months back which I did not expect to be as bright as it was when I opened the packet. I didn't wear it for a reason, but I put it on and asked a few of my flatmates what they thought. All of them said yes, it's nice, go with it, and silly me, I trusted them.

While I was waiting for the bus to the train station, I thought I caught a few glances at my tights and I realised with a sinking heart what a mistake I made.

When I got to the office, I dashed to the toilet first to check my tights and felt my heart sank. The lights in the house I'm in is orangey and not very bright. The lights in the office is bright white lights. The vermillion tights screamed in those lights.

What was worse. To my utter horror.

My black jumper was not as thick as I thought it would be. I could see the shadow of the vermillion tights through the black jumper and because I was wearing black underpants, see the faint shadow of black underpants beyond the vermillion. I wanted to cry at my fashion faux pas.

But another girl came in at that time and she kept assuring me it was all right as long as I didn't walk terkangkang.

I tried to minimise any walking or standing that day, kept stuck to my chair as much as I could. No one said anything in the first few hours.

Then it started...

"Ooooh... Christmas lights?"

"Wow... where are my shades?"

"You're err... very colourful today..."

"Cool!! I really like them!! Really!!!" Overcompensated enthusiasm, so I gave him a -___-" look.

"You're very festive today..."

The best response I had was from Gurjeet's email, "What girl above the age of 14 buys orange tights!??!?"

Bitch.

Never wore 'em again after that day.