The engagement 



It was my first Korean engagement party and it was quite the experience. They had it in a cozy upmarket restaurant very tastefully designed. Must have cost quite a bit. Good thing both bride and groom are well to do.

But I was afraid of one thing.

Freezing to death.

It was a rainy day and it was cold. But thankfully it only truly poured after the party was over.











There were only a handful of the groom's friends so we felt obliged to all sit outside close to where the ceremony was held. Good thing they provided blankets; that kept me from freezing to death.

Most of the people who came sat inside where it was warm... and where the food was.

They were busy enjoying the warmth and food while those sitting in the garden (which were the closer friends and family) had to wait for the entire ceremony was over before moving indoors for food. Which by the time we did, some of them were already leaving the party.

*Grumble*

I felt my face would literally turn black if I went in to find the food all gone.



While waiting for the people to arrive, took some picures of the expensive looking houses around. You can't see it from this picture, but this house had a beautiful garden that looked beautifully serene.


Another beautiful looking house, and I could not help snap it and think my mother would love homes like this! I was amused how during the trip, I kept hearing statements like, "This is the Bangsar of Korea!" or "This is the Petaling Jaya of Korea!"







The Malaysians and one American of the party.



Oh. And another example of how Korean I look...

It was pouring by the time everyone was ready to leave the place. I was standing amongst the Malaysians at the entrance of the restaurant chatting away when the bride's mother came straight up to me amongst everyone and yakked away animatedly in Korean.

I was a bit taken aback and shook my head hoping she would realise I didn't speak Korean. And Logan, the Indian Malaysia who has spent the last 5 years in Korea stepped up to try and translate what she was saying but she ignored him and disappeared again. We laughed over how she refused to speak to the only one who could understand Korean.

She was trying to explain to us that they were arranging transport for us because it was pouring by then. When she realised she wasn't getting through she basically reappeared with an umbrella, pointed a commanding finger at me and dragged me off to a waiting car.

Thank God I was there with friends. I think I would have found it a bit traumatizing, being kidnapped by non English speaking ahjummas (aunties) in black vans.

sounds like you had a really good time there - now you know how i feel in japan lol! btw, small world!! logan was my uni mate back in mmu - did you know him beforehand or, don't tell me HE was the groom??

yarh, really good time! I was surprised myself. Some countries, the moment you enter, you feel like you wanna go home again. But Korea, the moment I arrived in airport I loved it!

Logan is not the groom... the dude with the Korean clothes is the groom. i only met him during the engagement party. Small world eh.

Post a Comment