So every time someone reminds me of how Korean I look, this thought always burns at the back of my head... do people think I've undergone plastic surgery?! Because I've natural double eyelids and most Koreans who have slit eyes would most commonly go for eye surgery to create double eyelids, which is the least invasive surgery.
One of my colleagues from the Korean office was insisting very firmly (and passionately), "If you meet a Korean girl with big eyes and straight nose it is definitely surgery!!! Because biologically, Koreans CANNOT have big eyes!!!"
There's a sense of muted horror that there's so much pressure in Korea to achieve such superficial beauty through physically reshaping oneself. Yet at the same time I can understand the appeal of it.
I am very grateful to God for my body shape and complexion, hair and looks. But I am even more grateful that He taught me what internal beauty can do than that of the external.