Apple will conquer the world 

Everyone but two of us in the team have iPads but despite attempts to convince me to get one, I considered it and decided against it.

It definitely had a cool factor to it, but when I weighed the devices I already had, there wasn't a compelling need for me to get an iPad. A laptop was sufficient for me for work and personal use, and my iPod Touch is really good for music on the go. My Blackberry could access emails and tweet. An iPad was just an overlap to every other device I had.

Last Friday I got myself an iPad.

Reason #1: I booked my flights to London for Christmas, on Jet Airways. No, not Jetstar. Jet Airways.

Which carrier is that you ask? What does that matter, your face asks?

It is an Indian carrier, that will transit in Mumbai both ways.

At $500 difference to MAS, which was the next cheapest and fastest route without crazy stopovers, I succumbed to greed ok! Greed to save $500 which is a lot of money to me! And yes, it is cheaper and more convenient than AirAsia.

I am already mentally preparing amenities that I may need to survive the trip to and fro, and an iPad stocked with movies and shows is one of them.

I love travelling on a long distance flight. The thing I look forward to most is snuggling into my seat and watching 1 American romantic comedy and whatever Asian (Cantonese/Korean/Japanese) movies the airline would have. Thus my preference for asian carriers like MAS, SQ or Cathay. Since it is my first time on an Indian carrier, I'm not taking chances.

I do not want to watch Bollywood movies all the way.

*Groan* The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should have taken MAS.


Reason #2 : The thing about being in an IT industry is that you need to embrace IT. iPads has a direct impact to my area of work. My manager had been repeatedly tried to explain the impact and while I hear the words, the mind hasn't fully grasped it entirely yet. So on Friday, when he had to repeat himself yet again, his frustration caused his words to ring when he declared, "You just have to try it out for yourself to understand!"

I had been thinking and thinking for months whether to get an iPad but never got round to it because I felt I could still do without it. But my manager gave me the needed bullet to bite.

Shanx2 in her uncanny discerning manner has been the only one who ever pointed out my tendency to need a minimum of 2 reasons to do anything. If I perceive there is only 1 reason to do things, I would not. Not enough value for time and energy apparently.

When I am decided in my mind the rightness of an action, I would do it quickly and decisively. So in the same day after having the conversation with my manager I went off to get the iPad.