Sarawak work-holiday 

Last weekend I went to Sarawak, Malaysia to join The Pastor in one of his ministry work. It was a busy, tiring trip. I don't think I have had any relaxed, chilled out holiday yet since last year. Every trip I make seems to be a mad rush to meet people and do stuff. Work seems more relaxing than my holidays lately!

Despite the hard work in Sarawak, it must be declared, it was such a good trip and I enjoyed every bit of it. Especially the food! Oh the glorious food!

Whenever I have guests visit Malaysia, the thing you must do is bring them around to try the different types of food and watch for their reaction to some of the food that is more suited to the adventurous. I found the tables were turned on me when I went to Sarawak as some of their food were too much for me!



 
The dish on the left is a local vegetable that their ground to a pulp. I had it everyday. The dish on the right is banana shoot I believer. The one in the middle is fish. I happily took a dollop of it and popped into my mouth and only realised why The Pastor warned me that it can cause hypertension. It was salty like the entire ocean condensed into that fish! Blekkkk.
 

 
Our meal at the home of the host. Everyone whipped out their cameras and one of the pastor commented drily, "People used to give thanks before they eat. Now they take pictures before they give thanks." Hehe.



 
What a treat to bump into this nenek (grandma)! Yes, those are her ears!! If I am not mistaken, she is from the Kelabit tribe. And the long ears signify that they belong to royalty. The longer they are, the higher their status actually is! From infancy, their ears are pierced and pulled with heavy earrings. The older they get, the bigger and heavier their earrings get. It is just a custom, but no spiritual significance to it. In fact, this royal nenek is a Christian herself.