So you think you're suffering? Wimp. 

Yesterday at church, Sivin was preaching from Revelation 7:9-17. He helped to put into perspective into my very much sheltered and luxurious life on what it truly means to go through great trials and tribulations and what real suffering is.

Suffering unfortunately isn't the stress from pressure and demands of my management on my monthly sales figures. Nor is it from the anxiousness of uncertainties I go through on what I'm going to do for the next ten years.

I joined a group of people from church on Saturday to Rumah Hope, an orphanage. And looking at the children's faces that day, they seem to have a quality that no children with parents would ever have. It differs from face to face. Some were guarded. Some were simply starving for love. Some were afraid to ask for love. Some angry. Some dull, as if they weren't interested with whatever is going around them.

Growing up with parents was challenging enough for me. I cannot imagine what they must go through, growing up without parents.

I take God and His goodness too much for granted too many times. I had to pray that He gives me 'gentle reminders' to give thanks for all that He has provided. Gentle! I'm not sure if I could be found faithful and worthy if I had to go through some great trials and tribulations in order to truly savour God's goodness.

I remember many years ago, somebody once shared about how God speaks to us all the time. He whispers first to us, but if we don't hear it, He'll start speaking louder. And when we still don't listen, He begins to shout at us to get our attention. And usually, the forms the shouting takes shape in are usually a little painful.

In the last month there seems to be a lot of whispered instructions. I like to call them 'holy-kick-in-the-butts'. My godfather, Bro O? Among his many other spiritual gifts he specialises particularly in giving 'holy-kick-in-the-butts'. He has many styles as well. Front kick, back kick, roundhouse, shadow kick whatever kick la.

Time to get moving before the next big kick comes.

Labels: