More than meets the eye I suppose 

"I thought you were happening, but you're not."

My colleague said to me today. When he found out I could not drink that much alcohol, I don't smoke, I went to church in Perth instead of joining the other more 'fun' activities, and that I help out in an orphanage.

Oh yes. And that during my one year in UK, I could use one hand to count the number of times I've visited the pub. And the fact that my weekly schedules in UK was pretty much where Mondays I go to church in the evenings for Globe Cafe, occasionally joining Focus Groups (student Bible study groups) on Tuesday evenings, occasionally joining the Christian Union group on Wednesday nights, the Christian Student Action group on Thursday nights, the Chinese Christian Fellowship group on Friday night, can't for the life think what I usually do on Saturday nights and then JPC services in the mornings and evenings on Sunday.

Aaahh... good times.

I am a person of two extremes. On one hand, I have some people always passing comments like, "I thought you smoked! You look like a person who smokes!" and "You look like a real party animal!" and "You look like you can outdrink the rest of us!" While on the other hand, I'm the kind who well, would love to end up being in church everyday if I could. Well, maybe not everyday, but something like that.

I've got my good side and my oh-so-dark side.

And the tension between this two extremes can be really tough at times. The last thing I want is people to look at me and think of me as a really pious person. But nor do I want to think of me as a wild child. Worst, a hypocrite. If I could, I would just want them to see me as someone working things out with God.

Don't ask me to balance up my two extremes. The tension could make me go off. Seriously. It's always one or the other end of the see-saw.

But you ask me, I choose to be at the boring end, really.


My dark side whispering: Boring? Hah! See you in heaven buddy! If you can make it through the pearly gates while I'm partying with the angels. We'll see who has the last laugh! Boring indeed. Hmmmmmmphhhh.

Labels: ,