Attempted Setup #1 

So a church member recently wanted to set me up with someone from her boyfriend's church. And she was describing him to me:


K: He's a worship leader in church...

Me: Hmm... (yeah, no, not a selling point to me)

K: He plays the guitar and sings really well!

Me: Nnnhh... (well, nice to know, but again, not something I look for in a guy)

K: He's 35 and still single but it's not because there's anything wrong with him. He's got loads of girls interested in him.

Me: Mmm... (ok, at least he's single)

K: Oh oh... and the best part is! He loves his mother a lot!! He accompanies her everywhere!!! *Looks expectantly at me*

Me: Yeah?No.


And with that, he was written off.

I have loads of respect for men who love their moms, and I think it's important and if I've got a son, I want him to love me loads too. But I'm opinionated; I can be headstrong and if I'm really convinced with something, I'll stick to my guns. But I'm also soft-hearted and I believe in creating a win-win situation as much as I can without being stupidly stubborn.

The picture of this chap K took made me feel that he was a gentle and caring man. And no offense to Singaporean men, but to date, the impression I get of them is that they have an inherent culture of conformity. Individuality and rebelliousness is not appreciated.

These days I avoid female power plays as much as I can. Too much energy wasted trying to manage women who feel they should be in the alpha position. And so a gentle man whose mother is used to having his full attention is not something I want to go near. What more a gentle man who is used to accepting established authority.

Of course I can't know everything just by a short description and a picture. There is of course more to my thoughts than just this behind my utter conviction that this guy is not the one I'm waiting for.

Guess I'll just keep waiting!

Labels: ,