I've known my pastor/godfather Bro O for 10 years now.
While I always describe him to friends as the one person who is the single strongest influence over my walk with God, they always inadvertently conjure up a picture of someone who is stately and quietly commanding; naturally inspiring respect and when he speaks, it is firm, gentle and deeply intuitive.
When I convinced a friend of mine to meet up with him in Malaysia while I was in London, she asked me how she would know who this Bro O was.
I told her...
"Watch out for a Cina apek (Chinese uncle-ish person) who's a bit round, big nose, wild hair, big spectacles, blinking owl-like eyes and a loud mad laughter."
She was a little taken aback by my description but went with it. When she finally met him, she said my description fitted him perfectly.
Sometimes his jokes gets so lame, I cannot help but cover my face with the pillow during church service and moan inwardly. At which point everyone else snickers because I have the lowest tolerance for his lame jokes in the group.
It is fun though having him as a church pastor. He livens things up considerably when he's around and not travelling across Malaysia. He called me up after service 2 weeks ago and I was wondering why, since it was pretty late already. After checking with me on some church matters he then prodded me and asked me if the fledging couple from our church who were walking in front of me and YYee on the way home were holding hands.
I think I accused him of being a big old gossip at some point. At which he cackled. Yes, cackled is the word.
-.-
So yes, they did. And he declared loudly, "I knew it!!!! I saw them as we drove past you guys but Irene was driving too fast!!!!! I wanted to wind down the window and shout at them!!!!!"
I slapped my forehead at that point.
"Bro O!!!!!!! You're our pastor!!!!! Can you behave yourself please?!?!"
And he continued cackling away.
When I told the girl of the fledging couple that story the following week, her face went red and she muttered that she was glad he didn't or she would have murdered him. Hehe.
Like I said, he livens things up considerably for the rest of us.
Labels: Church tales